A meeting was held on April, 12 between LIFE11 ENV/GR/942 oLIVE-CLIMA “Introduction of new oLIVE crop management practices focused on CLIMAte change mitigation and adaptation” and the Alternate Minister of Rural Development and Food Mr. Markos Mpolaris at the premises of the Ministry in Athens. The meeting was requested by oLIVE CLIMA Coordinator ANATOLIKI s.a. Development Agency of Eastern Thessaloniki’s Local Authorities due to the interest that is shown by the Ministry of Rural Development and Food for the implementation of environmental friendly measures in agriculture in the context of the Programme for Rural Development for Greece 2014-2020
During the meeting, the practices of oLIVE CLIMA were presented to Mr. Mpolaris, in order for possible synergies to be investigated with policy initiatives and financial instruments of the Ministry. In addition, improvements in the legislative framework for applying environmental friendly practices in the fields were discussed. Further communication between the Ministry and oLIVE CLIMA will follow the meeting.
oLIVE CLIMA has been running for four (4) years with the contribution of LIFE + financial instrument of the European Union. During its implementation, environmental friendly practices have been applied in the fields of three pilot areas in Greece by the Farmers Organizations of PEZA, MERAMBELLO and NILEAS and under the supervision of ELGO “DEMETER” Institutes, University of Basilicata, as well as RodaxAgro. These practices contribute to long-term “storage” of carbon dioxide in the soil in the form of an increasing percentage of organic matter, hence improving fertility (e.g. by better retention of water and fertilizers) and reducing greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions.
The fact that such a project has been running for so long and that its results are monitored by high prestige Institutes and Organizations is considered an advantage for the replication of its practices to other areas in Greece and the Mediterranean basin countries.
The cultivation practices implemented by the project comprise among others:
- Adaptation of pruning
- Pruned wood chopping and spreading to the parcels’ soil
- Returning of waste water and sludge from olive mills to the parcels’ soil
- Composting of organic materials and spreading to the parcels’ soil
- Minimized soil tillage
- Weed biodiversity enrichment for improved soil fertility
On behalf of oLIVE CLIMA Consortium Mr. Iakovos Sarigiannis, Mr. Chrysostomos Makrakis Karachalios (ANATOLIKIS s.a.) and Mr. Georgios Koumpouris (Institute of Olive Tree Subtropical Crops and Viticulture) participated in the meeting.
The project’s beneficiaries are:
- ANATOLIKI s.a. Development Agency of Eastern Thessaloniki’s Local Authorities (Coordinating Beneficiary)
- Institute of Olive Tree, Subtropical Crops and Viticulture, ELGO “DEMETER”
- RodaxAgro Ltd.
- PEZA UNION CRETE
- E.A.S. MERAMBELLOU
- A.S. NILEAS
- Department of Soil Science of Athens, ELGO “DEMETER”
- Land Reclamation Institute, ELGO “DEMETER”
- Università della Basilicata – Dipartimento delle Culture Europee e del Mediterraneo